fascinating trivia about Charlie Chaplin over on IMDB:
- He was born four days before Adolf Hitler, in 1889.
- He had bright blue eyes.
- His understudy in England was Stan Laurel; they sailed to America together and shared a boarding house when they arrived.
- In 1925, he was the first actor to appear on the cover of Time magazine.
- At the height of his popularity, he failed to win a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest.
- His imprints were removed (and subsequently lost) from the Hollywood walk of fame because of his suspected communist views.
- Although Adolf Hitler despised Chaplin, he was aware of his popularity, and grew the Chaplin moustache to endear himself to the people.
- He never became a U.S. citizen.
- He composed about 500 melodies, including Smile.
- The last film he saw, in 1976, was Rocky.
- In 1978, his dead body was stolen for over two months. When it was recovered, it was re-buried in a vault encased in cement.
Credit: Portrait photograph